If, like me, you loved the movie 300 last year and grew up teething on the cheesy greatness from Ray Harryhausen effects films like Jason and Argonauts, you'll love this bit. Hollywood, which never seems to learn that too much of something is never a good thing, has gone crazy for classical era, mythology type movies. Here are some of the jumping-on-the-300-bandwagon movies in progress:
* a 300 sequel
* a Clash of the Titans remake (to be directed by Louis Leterrier)
* Hercules: The Thracian Wars (based on the comic book, to be directed by Peter Berg)
* Hercules: The Beginning (from Russian actor-producer Alexander Nevsky)
* God of War (based on the video game, to be directed by Brett Ratner)
* War of Gods (about Theseus)
* Anabasis (about Greek mercenaries fighting in the Persian Wars)
Now they're reporting a script is underway for new a take on the tale of Jason and his search for the Golden Fleece with his buddies the Argonauts (aka sailors named for their ship, the Argo). Sounds pretty fun, even sans Harryhausen's effects.
And again today, for some reason, they're opening a new film on a Wednesday. I'm not really sure why they keep doing this instead of just opening them on Fridays but what the heck. Here's the usual rundown:
The Plot: While shooting a big-budget war movie, a group of actors (Ben Stiller, Jack Black and Robert Downey Jr.) are forced to become soldiers in a real-life conflict.
My Thoughts: Directed by Ben Stiller and starring this group, it's bound to be somewhat funny. The ratings also note "Rated R for pervasive language including sexual references, violent content and drug material" so that sounds like a plus. Well, unless you're a kid I guess. And talk about cameos... Tom Cruise, Tyra Banks, Jason Bateman, Jon Voight, Jennifer Love Hewitt, Alicia Silverstone and Lance Bass are all listed in the credits.