Monday, May 11, 2009
Movie Money Monday
Star Trek is sexy again (or was it ever not?) and it opened big, but not as big as Wolverine last weekend. I'd still guess it will finish in front though as it may have more legs with much better reviews. It did open big enough to boot Coraline out of the top 10 already.
1. Monsters Vs. Aliens - $186,892,000
2. Fast and Furious - $151,862,000
3. Paul Blart: Mall Cop - $145,501,364
4. Taken - $144,174,000
5. X-Men Origins: Wolverine - $129,624,000
6. Watchmen - $107,209,686
7. He's Just Not That Into You - $93,784,094
8. Tyler Perry's Madea Goes to Jail - $90,508,336
9. Knowing - $78,363,000
10. Star Trek - $76,500,000
I'd guess X-Men Origins: Wolverine is going to be considered somewhat of a disappointment. It's not going to finish near the last 2 X-Men films I'd guess and may struggle to get to where the first film finished.
1. X-Men: The Last Stand - $234,362,462
2. X2: X-Men United - $214,949,694
3. X-Men - $157,299,717
4. X-Men Origins: Wolverine - $129,624,000
It was budgeted at about $150 mil and has done over $200 mil worldwide already, so I'd stop short of calling it a "flop", but I'm sure they hoped for more.
The next heavy hitter in the line-up is Angels & Demons opening this Friday.