Saw Van Halen in Nashville last night... quick thoughts...
* Bridgestone Arena is a great venue... but don't they have air-conditioning? It was hotter than heck.
* Wolfie is much more active and seems a lot more confident than the last time I saw them. His vocals have improved as well.
* Eddie is awesome and looks as good as I've seen him in a long time.
* Alex is still fantastic.
* Dave is out of his mind and has to go down as the goofiest front man of all-time. I couldn't quit laughing at his silly faces and moves. It's like having a clown as lead singer. He also does some moronic sidenote about some dogs he trains to herd sheep or something and blah blah blah. Please. And burn those overalls. They kept showing clips of him wearing them on the big screen and all I could think was "why is a 60 year old man dressing like he's 4?" Vocally though he sounded pretty good and the old man still can move his butt, I must say. I pulled a muscle in my groin just watching a few of his kicks.
* The set list rocks. The only tracks I didn't really care for were "Girl Gone Bad" and I thought Dave made "Ice Cream Man" horrible, and that's one of my favorite VH songs ever. They didn't play "Stay Frosty" which sucks because I love that track. But they come out blasting with "Unchained" and before it's over you get all the biggies like "Panama" and "Running With The Devil" and stuff like "I'll Wait" and "Everybody Wants Some"... plenty of stuff from the new release too.
* Kool & The Gang opened and were actually a helluva lot of fun.
* Craft beer at the venue... $10 a pop. 24 oz at least so that's not completely outrageous I guess.